[XeTeX] installing mac font on linux

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Mon Dec 13 17:55:13 CET 2010

Am 12.12.2010 um 22:20 schrieb Tim Arnold:

> From what I can see, the original font would have worked on linux just as it does for mac, but I did not understand how to transfer the files. FontBook on the mac exported the fonts to a directory that has a strange structure

You shouldn't have had to use fontt book, because on a Mac, your fonts are to be found either in /Library/Fonts or in ~/Library/Fonts.

On my MacBook, Lucida Handwriting is located in /Library/Fonts/Microsoft, so it's supposedly provided through some MS application installation. Indeed the font file is 0 bytes, because all the font data is located in the so called data fork of the file.

I don't know if this sort of font can be copied to or used on a Linux system, but there should be certain tools which can do that (maybe Apple's own Font Tools, which are a freeware set of tools), without breaking the license rules.

You can find basic explanations of the Mac font file formats at http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22195.

Joachim

Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz     E-Mail: jtr at uni-bonn.de
Institut für Germanistik, Tel.: 0228-737565
Vergleichende Literatur-  Fax: 0228-737479
und Kulturwissenschaft    www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de
der Universität Bonn      53012 Bonn