[XeTeX] Auto Font and Language Package in XeTeX

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Mon Dec 13 12:28:08 CET 2010

On 12/12/2010 9:57 PM, Venkatesan. S.K. (TNQ) wrote:

> If you look at current generation browsers, they assign fonts by
> default to all language scripts by their unicode plane.
> Say, Greek="Palatino Linotype" etc. They also allow you to change the
> default font settings.
>
> It would be a nice idea to build a default package in XeLaTeX that
> would use these fonts.

Alright, alright, I confess, I should just finish the damn
"ucharclasses" package >_>

For the moment the dev version is here:
http://projects.nihongoresources.com/downloadables/ucharclasses.tgz
documentation here:
http://projects.nihongoresources.com/downloadables/ucharclasses.pdf

I still need to add in selective unicode block load options, and ideally
follow up on Jonathan's suggestion from way back when, to add in script
tags in addition to the current "blind" unicode blocks (although I
suspect that would be more for a v2, since ambiguity is king when it
comes to script).

I'm swamped with wrapping up my work before moving from Europe to
Canada, Jan 1st, but I'll try to get it cleaned a little and CTANed over
the weekend.

If anyone has a better package name for it before I sent it up to CTAN,
feel free to pipe up and I'll change it to something more intuitive for
users.

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com