[XeTeX] Latex+Tamil

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chyavana at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 18:58:54 CET 2010

On Friday 10 December 2010 05:58 PM, Sengottuvel wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>      How to Tamil document prepare in Latex. Any one send a sample
> source file in Latex.

Since you are posting on the XeTeX list, I assume that you really mean
XeLaTeX rather than LaTeX.

Try this document:
----------
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{DejaVu Serif}
\newfontfamily{\tam}[Script=Tamil]{Lohit Tamil}
\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}
\begin{document}
The following text is in Tamil script: \tam{தமிழ் எழுத்து}.
\end{document}
----------
It compiles correctly for me.

> What are the packages should be installed.

You should have recent versions of xelatex installed as well as the
fontspec package such as are available from TeXLive 2010.

The above example uses freely available fonts for Latin and Tamil scripts.

You also need an input method by which you can enter Tamil Unicode
characters via your keyboard. I am on a Linux PC where my input method
framework is iBus. Your mileage may vary depending on your OS.

> Guide me.,.,
>
> --
> with regards,
> T.Sengottuvel