[XeTeX] What kind of effect is that?

Vadim Radionov vadim.radionov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:46:24 CET 2010

Dear all,

I have a weird effect trying to print the text typeset with xelatex in
Newton (proprietary) font.  Everything looks fine on the screen (in
Adobe Reader or other viewer), but on the print (from Acroread or by
lpr with CUPS) some letters appear shrunk to some noticeable factor
(scanned image attached).  I use LJ 2300 printer.

If I set some text in this typeface in OpenOffice and print from it or
export to pdf first, the effect does not happen.
If I rasterize it with convert utility to, say, 600 dpi bmp, symbols
have the same size, too.

Why can it happen?

Thank you in advance,

Vadim

---------------------
test1.tex:
\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{papersize={1in,1in},ratio={1:1}}

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\begin{document}
\fontspec{Newton}
test