[XeTeX] Hyphenation rules problem in my french document

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon Dec 6 02:00:25 CET 2010

Hello Maxim,

On 06/12/2010, at 11:18 AM, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> @Enrico:
>
> Thank you for this detailed explanation!
> Where have you gathered this specific knowledge?
>
> Is the TeXbook by Dr. Knuth the best book
> to learn more about TeX internals?

Yes.
Appendix H : Hyphenation
On pages 452-453 it says:

"TeX uses the \lccode  to convert each letter to lowercase form;
a word-to-be-hyphenated will match an entry in the exception
dictionary if and only if both words have the same lowercase form
after conversion to lowercase."

At the beginning of the same paragraph it says:

"If you want to add a word to the exception dictionary, just say
 \hyphenation{<words>}  where  <words> consists of one or more
<word> items separated by spaces."

 then says exactly what is meant by a <word> item, in terms of
the character codes that can occur.

> Good night,
> Maxim

Hope this helps,