[XeTeX] supplying missing glyphs?

Adam McCollum acmccollum101 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 01:20:13 CET 2010

Dear list members,

I like the Hoefler Text font very much, but I see that it apparently
doesn't have glyphs for a number of letters with diacritics, which I
sometimes need for transliteration; please see the example text below.
I've tried both unicode entry and the TeX way for entering these. Is
there any way at all to "fake" these glyphs or otherwise supply them?
Any and all suggestions welcome!

With thanks in advance,

Adam McCollum, Ph.D.
Lead Cataloger, Eastern Christian Manuscripts
Hill Museum & Manuscript Library
Saint John's University
P.O. Box 7300
Collegeville, MN  56321

(320) 363-2075 (phone)
(320) 363-3222 (fax)
www.hmml.org

Minimal example:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{xltxtra, polyglossia}

\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}

\setromanfont{Hoefler Text}

\begin{document}

\title{Test for Hoefler Text with Diacritical Marks}
\author{Yours truly}
\maketitle

ā å ḇ ḍ ē ǵ ḡ ğ ġ ǧ ḥ ḫ ħ ḳ ł ƚ ō ŏ œ ṛ š
ṣ ṭ ṯ ẓ Š Ḥ

\d h

\end{document}