[XeTeX] misplaced diacritical marks

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Tue Aug 31 15:21:32 CEST 2010

David J. Perry wrote:

> The following minimal example works for me (Windows, MiKTeX 2.7) with
> marks correctly placed.  I happen to have the Unicode values for the
> diacritics memorized, so I just typed them in, but you could equally
> well paste the actual characters from BabelMap or Character Viewer or
> whatever utility you have.

This will work, as long as you have a font with the /combining/ glyphs
--- in this case: "combining dot below" and "combining macron", as
Junicode does. But not all fonts have them. E.g., Minion Pro does not
have both of those /combining/ glyphs --- but it /does/ have a macron
and a dot below. In which case, maybe the only way to obtain the desired
result is the cumbersome definition posted yesterday (which comes from
Juan Acevedo from XeTeX archives 25 Aug 2008 ... which he found on
earlier posts by Musa Furber and Jonathan Kew from the archives of 11
Feb. 2005, I think).

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma