[XeTeX] Ancient Hebrew font problem

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 02:17:09 CEST 2010

Karljurgen Feuerherm wrote:
> Hi
>
> As I do some Hebrew, and have just migrated to a Mac (last month), I am
> curious why the font feature need not be declared on a Mac?
>
> Thanks
>
> KF

The fontspec manual discusses the difference between ICU and AAT font
handling. Macs use the latter, Linux and other operating systems use the
former. With ICU handling, language and script features have to be
selected manually, whereas they are automatic in AAT. In fontspec, if
you select language and script options, ICU handling will be activated.
If you do this on a Mac, it could well look messy. This list often sees
posts where people with Macs have selected language or script tags and
it has caused problems, or when users of other OSs don't select these
tags. I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge could tell us more
about this issue if necessary.

Gareth.