[XeTeX] RTL hyperlink problems

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 20 17:20:42 CEST 2010

Hi

I'm not sure what reversing you get (the whole link? individual letters?),
but in case it helps here is some antediluvian code that I used to use many
years ago to get occasional Hebrew words in ordinary EmTeX.  You would want
to put the back-to-front text in the \reversedtext macro at the end of the
code; and you would need to have \input pstricks somewhere in the header to
your file.  (Note that 'gobbledtext' in the follwowing just gets swallowed
up - I've forgotten the ins and outs of this and think the code is a bit of
trickery derived from something Jonathan Fine produced, either publicly or
in a message to me.)

    \def\processlist#1%
    {%
     \ifx #1\ \ \else
     \ifx #1\sentinel \expandafter \sentinel \noexpand
      \else
%\processitem
      \flip #1\fi\fi
      \processlist
    }
    \def \sentinel {\gobble\sentinel}
    \def \gobble #1 {}
%where \processitem is up to you.
%Use as \processlistabcdefghij\sentinel
\def\flip#1{\psscalebox{-1 1}{#1\vrule height 0.8\baselineskip depth
0.2\baselineskip width0pt}}
\def\flipletter#1{\ifreverse \scalebox{-1 1}{#1}\else\relax\fi}
\def\reversedtext#1{\processlist #1\sentinel gobbledtext \hskip 0pt\ }

Example of usage:

Some stuff \reversedtext{turnitround}and some more stuff.

Note that the space following the reversed material is part of the
\reversedtext macro so that after the closing } you *don't* put in a space
(otherwise you'll get a double space in the output) - it seems quite hard to
insert a space if you don't incorporate it in the macro, but as I say I've
forgotten all the details.  If you need spaces within the argument (I think
not?) they would have to be given explicitly with \

If you want an entire block reversed (not each letter one by one), just give
\input pstricks and then

\psscalebox{-1 1}{text to be reversed}

Hope this helps!

John