[XeTeX] Converting from arabtex to arabxetex

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Aug 19 10:05:27 CEST 2010

Am Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:10:37 -0400 schrieb Lomky:

>> If really all text is ISO 8859-6, i.e., the 7-bit codes are Latin and AC-F2
>> are Arabic, then just convert the file's contents from ISO 8859-6 to UTF-8!

> This seems to work, but keeps hitting snags where I get the error 'illegal
> input sequence'. It's triggering on a symbol it's already translated earlier
> in the document, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Well that is a iconv message. And it probably means what it says:
That a byte(-sequence) in your document which is not allowed in the
source encoding.

>> Converting everything to utf8 is certainly the easiest. You can also
>> try \XeTeXinputencoding "cp1256" at the start of the files which use
>> your code page.
>>

> the \xetexinputencoding just produces a mess, sadly. I tried both cp1256 and
> ISO 8859-6 with it.

You are not saying what you mean by a "mess". But I can see only two
reasons why it shouldn't work: the file is not cp1256 encoded, or
you are using packages like inputenc or fontenc interfering.

> Are there other ways to convert it to utf8? This is the best lead I've had
> so far.

If you have an editor that can show you your file correctly, it can
perhaps save it as utf8.

--
Ulrike Fischer