[XeTeX] Table of contents

Philiрp Rеichmuth phil.ipp.reich.muth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 14:34:11 CEST 2010

Am Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:42:11 +0200 schrieb Peter Dyballa:
> The command \XeTeXinputencoding resets the default UTF-8 or UTF-16
> input encoding to something else, restricted, awkward, whatever. It
> allows XeTeX to translate the limited characters to sensible Unicode
> (BTW, MS Windows has knowledge of Unicode since more the ten years, no
> need to present oneself as a guy from last millennium).

The TeX world is one of the few places where I would *not* lean out of the
window too much toting the virtues of Unicode compliance and the
awkwardness of anything else.

It wasn't that long ago that XeTeX finally brought robust and broad support
for UTF-8 to the main engine. When was that, 2006? Certainly not in the
last millennium. And there are some parts of the typical user's toolchain
where if you want to use UTF-8, you still have to rely on beta software
whose developers advise against including it in the major distributions.

Philipp