[XeTeX] Arabic fonts and ligatures after migrating machine

Manuel Souto Pico m.soutopico at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 08:47:38 CEST 2010

Dear all,

After migranting to a new machine and copying all files and installing
Tex Live again, I find that when I try to typeset (in
TexShop) some documents that I had in Arabic, ligatures stop working.
I use Mac OS X 10.6.3.

The font I use is Scheherazade. I copied the file
ScheherazadeRegAAT.ttf in /System/Library/Fonts (although it doesn't
appear in the Font Book, I don't know why).

My minimal example is:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdvipdfmx
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainlanguage{arabic}
\setotherlanguage{galician}
\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Scale=1.5,Script=Arabic]{Scheherazade}

\title{السلام عليكم}

\begin{document}
\maketitle
وعليكم السلام
\end{document}

and the log says:

(...)
! Font \@tempfontb=Scheherazade/ICU at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
(TFM) file or installed font not found.

and something else but I can't copy and paste. In any case, the
document is not compiled.

If I replace Scheherazade with Scheherazade-AAT or with other fonts
(Times New Roman, Geeza Pro, etc.), the document is compiled but the
ligatures don't work.

Has anyone had this issue? Any clue about how to solve it? I probably
need to teak some setting that I did long ago in my former computer.

Cheers, Manuel