[XeTeX] accented character ṛ within \section{ṛ}

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 21:41:05 CEST 2010

Hi Herb,

On 27/04/2010, at 5:23 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> That is one reason I personally think combining marks + ccmp are
>> better
>> than pre-composed glyphs, the less glyph work the easier to sync
>> fonts.
>> Sure it means a bit extra OpenType work, but this can easily be
>> shared
>> between faces.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Khaled
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Just curious... what happens when you try to do search within or a
> copy from a pdf which has such combined characters?

PDF has the /ActualText(...)  replacement tagging feature.
This allows you to capture a sequence of content characters
and declare the whole collection to be equivalent to a single
(or sequence of) Unicode point(s).

Searching and copying is *supposed to* use these replacements,
when available. Unfortunately, not all PDF browsers actually
do this yet.

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz

Hope this helps,