[XeTeX] Polyglossia errors on Windows/MikTeX 2.8/TeXworks

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Wed Apr 21 20:29:51 CEST 2010

On 16/04/2010 15:35, Peter Davis wrote:

> Am 15.04.2010 22:34, schrieb Peter Davis:
>
> I'm trying to compile the polyglossia sample file,
> test-polyglossia-setup.tex

??
Has this file really made it to CTAN? Hmm, then this happened by mistake
when producing the TDS archive. Sorry.
It was never intended for "public use", but there is no harm in using it
of course :)

> , but it's failing with errors like:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
>
> l.82 \newXeTeXintercharclass
>
> \xpg at normalclass %TODO

The issue indicates that your xelatex format is a bit outdated, so you
should recreate it. (In the last version I have actually added a fix
that provides \newXeTeXintecharclass unless it is defined in the format
(via xelatex.ini) but it seems that I put the code to that effect at the
wrong place in polyglossia.sty ...)

> and
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `loadingorder-bidi.def' not found.
>
> Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
>
> or enter new name. (Default extension: def)

This is unrelated to polyglossia: Vafa, can you help on this?

> downloading
> ftp://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/bidi.tar.lzma...
>

> 1319400 bytes, 74.56 KB/Sec
>
> extracting files from bidi.tar.lzma...

> ("C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.8\tex\latex\bidi\bidi.sty"
>
> bidi package (Support for bidirectional typesetting with XeLaTeX and
> LuaLaTeX)

> texts with XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX. The package includes adaptations for use
>
> with many other commonly-used packages.
>
> Copyright © 2009-2010 Vafa Khalighi
>
> v1.0.7, <commit 26>, 2010/07/25

Very strange: this is a date in the future!