[XeTeX] Xetex won't compile without Lmodern fonts

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 03:29:25 CEST 2010

I am sorry we don't all live in the Peter Dyballa Ivory Tower of Comprehension & Knowledge. I stand corrected. From now on, I will only contribute to this list about topics in which I am a certified expert (the number of my contributions is thus expected to decrease dramatically).

The original topic opener had a question about the apparent need of having the LM fonts on his machine to use Xelatex + fontspec. Thus, I live in the assumption that the topic opener is a relative newcomer, and I was merely trying to provide some background to the issues of fonts in latex in general, in xelatex in particular, the history of LM and the Tex Gyre fonts (and thanks to Peter's kind explanations, I know now that the Tex Gyre fonts and LM are completely separate things that share nothing in common whatsoever), and the way package maintainers can pick and choose the contents of their software packages. That's all. I didn't expect some kind of Spanish Inquisition....

Wilfred