[XeTeX] Xetex won't compile without Lmodern fonts

Raphael Frey freyraphael at lavabit.com
Thu Apr 15 23:56:50 CEST 2010

Hi you all!

I’ve a question regarding the ‘fontspec’ package: It seems that Xetex
won’t compile a file that uses the ‘fontspec’ package if the ‘lmodern’
fonts are not installed resp. not available on the system even if I
don’t use these fonts. Is this true and if so why do the ’lmodern’ fonts
have to be installed even if they are not used? Please see the attached
files. By the way: I still use the elder version of Xetex included in
Debian stable but I get the exactly same error message with a newer
version of Xetex (version 2009-8 of package ‘texlive-xetex’) in Debian
unstable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards

Raphael