[XeTeX] No clipping support in XeTeX and \textcelsius

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Tue Apr 13 01:07:21 CEST 2010

Tiandao Li wrote:

> The following is the fonts used for English and Chinese, basically for
> English.
>
> \setmainfont{AR PL UKai CN}
> \newfontinstance\rmfont{Times New Roman}
> \newcommand{\en}[1]{{\rmfont #1}}
> \newcommand{\chem}[1]{$\mathrm{#1}$}
> \setmainfont{Times New Roman}
> \newfontinstance\cnfont{AR PL UKai CN}
> \newcommand{\cn}[1]{{\cnfont #1}}
>
> I am still learning xetex. if anything wrong, please correct me.

You can try TeXGyre Termes (a clone of Times, I think) which is included
with TeXLive 09 --- you might have to search for it to install it on
your system. Are you using Windows or Mac or ...? There are other
available fonts with that particular glyph (e.g. Linux Libertine, etc.).

You can also add this to your preamble for use with XeLaTeX:

\usepackage{xltxtra} % this also loads fontspec and xunicode
\usepackage[nolocalmarks]{polyglossia} % for hyphenation patterns
\setdefaultlanguage[variant=american]{english} % see polyglossia
documentation
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}

HTH.

--