[XeTeX] polyglossia and hebrew: arabic numerals and hyphenation

Marco Pessotto marco at angrynerds.com
Sat Sep 26 09:11:51 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 01:15:32PM +1000, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
>    Hi Marco and Avi
>    Your issue, I think is related to polyglossia. I have not tried your
>    example yet but just some notes:
>     1. when you use polyglossia, there is no need to load bidi separately.
>        My understanding is polyglossia wherever needs RTL typesetting,Â
>        loads bidi package appropriately.
>     2. When you use bidi package, \TeXXeTstate=1 is not needed. Can you
>        tell me what \TeXXeTstate=1 does in the presence of bidi package?
>
>    --
>    Vafa

Hi.

Thanks Vafa and Avi for your reply. The solution seems to be defining
a \hebrewfont (see below the working example attached).

Anyway, still no joy with hyphenation. I can't understand if the
patterns exist but my system is misconfigured, if they exist but they
aren't shipped with texlive (even if a search on CTAN lead to
nothing), or if they don't exist at all. As I said, before, I'm using
both TL 2008 and 2009 on gnu/linux platform.

Bests

Working example:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt,final]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
% \usepackage{bidi}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[numerals=arabic]{hebrew}
\setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
\newfontfamily{\hebrewfont}[Mapping=tex-text,%
HyphenChar="5BE,Script=Hebrew]{Linux Libertine O}
\begin{document}
\setRL
\tableofcontents

\chapter{זאת פיסת טקסט}