[XeTeX] Devanagari Ligature Problem

Neal Delmonico ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 25 01:21:06 CEST 2009

Greetings,

I am new to XeTeX though I have been working with LaTeX using the
Devanagari and Sanskrit packages for years. Recently I decided to see
what Unicode and XeTeX is about and after some struggle have managed to
set up a document using both Devanagari and English that looks great,
with one small exception, I can't get the j + n combination to work.
Since I am used to the Velthuis system of typing in Devanagari, I start
with the Velthuis system and use mapping of the text with velthuis.tec.
It works great again with this one exception. In the Velthuis system the
j~na combo is turned into ज्ञ . But now the result is j with halanta, a
space, and a dental n. I have tried various fonts but always with the
same result. Any suggestions?

Here is my preamble:

\documentclass[10pt]{article}

\usepackage{bidi}

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}

\setmainfont[]{Gentium Basic}

\setdefaultlanguage{english}

\setotherlanguage{sanskrit}

\newfontfamily{\dev}[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=velthuis-sanskrit]{Nakula}

And here is the input text:

{\dev \large

\begin{verse}

anyaabhilaa.sitaa"suunya.m j~naanakarmaadyanaav.rtam|\\

aanukuulyena k.r.s.naanu"siilana.m bhaktiruttamaa||

\end{verse}

\noindent asyaartha.h---anyaabhilaa.saj~naanakarmaadirahitaa

"sriik.r.s.namuddi"syaanukulyena kaaya\-vaa"n\-manobhiryaavatii kriyaa saa

bhakti.h|| 1||

}

thanks,

Neal