[XeTeX] Fonts in OS X 10.6

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed Sep 23 13:25:20 CEST 2009

Greetings.

I have a mild font problem, but I'm not sure whether it's a XeTeX,
fontspec.sty or 10.6 problem -- can anyone point me in the right
direction?

Following the advice on <http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2009-September/014206.html
 >, I've installed the updated version of xdvipdfmx, and the fonts I'm
using have got their boldness back (cowardice in fonts is to be
deplored).  Good.

I'm using Optima as a body font:

   \usepackage{fontspec}
   \setmainfont{Optima}

However \textsc{small caps} doesn't produce small caps.  Ought it to?
I _thought_ it did before the update to 10.6, but I admit I could be
imagining that.  My problem is that I'm not sure how to debug exactly
what's happening here, nor what to do next (apart from {\small SMALL
CAPS}, of course).

I see "Font shape `EU1/Optima(0)/m/sc' undefined" in the logs --
that's clear enough as far as it goes, but what's my next step?

   * It's not obvious to me from the fontspec docs if I should be
doing something to invoke a small caps variant for Optima.

   * Is fontspec missing something here; if so, can I help it?

   * Is this fallout from the change to .ttc fonts in 10.6? (spoken
like I understand the significance of that...)

   * It's not obvious that Optima even _has_ a small caps variant!  Is
there anything I can do within OS X Font Book to determine if the font
definitely has this variant, or definitely doesn't?  'Show Font Info'
doesn't mention this, but I don't know if that's significant; Optima
is a 'big' font family, which I feel rather implies that it would have
this sort of variant.

I'm perfectly happy to continue to regard XeTeX and OS X fonts as
Magic -- this is a good place for there to be magic.  I'm also willing
for this innocence to be shattered, if need be, in the service of
interesting or entertaining detail.

This is with 'fontspec 2008/08/09 v1.18', in the current MacTeX/
TeXLive distribution.

Thanks for any pointers,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester, UK