[XeTeX] Trouble with displaying word containing 3 conjunct consonants in Devanagari

Ravi Parimi rparimi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 18:38:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm using xelatex Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7) on Max
OSX 10.5.8 with Devanagari MT.

There's a word that contains the following sequence of letters: ङ् ख्
ये (which is zf + Kf + ye using the devanagri qwerty keys). When run
through xelatex, I see that the final य (y) doesn't merge into the
previous two letters. Instead, I see a halant character intervening
the first two letters (ङ् + ख्) and the final letter (य).   Here's my
source file:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
\setmainfont[RawFeature={Conjuncts=Additional Conjuncts}]{Devanagari MT}
\begin{document}
सङ्ख्ये
\end{document}

Not sure if pdf attachments are allowed, but I've attached the output
of the following tex source along with this mail.

It appears that the xetex engine isn't able to form a conjunct with
this combination of letters? I've been able to print other sequences
of letters with 3 conjuncts without problems, eg. the word उक्त्र
(optiont+u + kf + tf + r). Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks much,
Ravi