[XeTeX] Kerning in spite of a ZWNJ(was Kerning in spite of a NWNJ)

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Tue Sep 15 01:13:40 CEST 2009

> I just found that when a zero-width non-joiner is placed between two

Arabic letters, kerning rules are not applied. This strikes me as a

bit odd, because in some languages (like Persian) a ZWNJ is used to

force a final form, i.e., to indicate a morpheme break. It's

conceivable that a following glyph would be an isolated form. In that

case, you might need kerning to make the [final]-[isolated] sequence

look better. Is there a way to produce this? (And alternative to ZWNJ

perhaps?)

No, I am Persian myself and that is not true. If the rule were to be
visible between ZWNJ, then it would look absolutely ugly. Imagine the
usual word می‌روم would look like می|روم. Actually if XeTeX does that,
then it will become a XeTeX bug,
that rule should be invisible (inserted but invisible). If I recall
correctly it was visible in the past which clearly was a bug and
Jonathan fixed it. That discussion can be fount at
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/xetex/2008-April/009520.html

--
Vafa