[XeTeX] Font problem with publisher --- help!!!

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Sat Sep 12 03:24:57 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:

> If you view the PDF with Acrobat [Reader], you should be able to look at the
> list of fonts used (somewhere in a properties dialog, I forget the exact
> details) and see whether it says they're embedded or not.
>
> Similarly, the TeXworks PDF viewer has a Fonts panel (available from the
> Window / Show submenu) that should give the same information.

The shell command-lined utility `pdffonts' (see
http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_pdffonts.htm) available on
Linux as well as via Fink for Mac OS X also works.

On the specific question of embedding fonts in a PDF (after first
generating a *.ps file from the *.dvi file), this seems to work for me
(replace $1.ps with the file name if invoking from the command line):

ps2pdf14 -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dEmbedAllFonts=true $1.ps

`ps2pdf14' may be aliased from `ps2pdf' on some systems, or it may
need to be installed.  I have generally (in my LaTeX experience) found
this a safer route than generating the PDF directly using pdflatex,
dvipdf or whatever.  Of course, I suppose that with XeLaTeX this
option no longer exists.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao