[XeTeX] Font problem with publisher --- help!!!

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Sep 11 14:59:28 CEST 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 2:17 AM, Nicolas Vaughan wrote:

> The problem persists, though. I think my publisher is trying to open
> the PDF in Adobe Illustrator, in order to do something with the text
> block (don't know why!). But when he tries to do that, AI reports
> that KP-etc. fonts are not available. And they aren't available to
> the OS (and to AI) since they are LaTeX fonts only.
>
> Any ideas?

If they want to do something other than edit text, they can open
your .pdf in Adobe Acrobat Professional, save out the pages which they
wish to change as .eps files, then place (not open) those .eps files
in Adobe Illustrator (or better still Adobe InDesign) and add whatever
additional elements need to be added (they'll need to set up the page
properly to match trim, bleed &c.) --- of course if the text needs to
be edited, then they'll need for you to do that as previous
respondents have noted.

Or they could purchase Enfocus PitStop and use it for any such .pdf
editing.

Adobe Illustrator is _not_ a general purpose .pdf editor and has to
translate all elements of a .pdf into its own internal format which
can result in marked changes in appearance or text formatting and then
creates the need to proof the edited file character for character,
line for line, graphic for graphic.

William

--
William Adams