[XeTeX] Fonts and Snow Leopard

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 10 21:15:31 CEST 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Mark Moll wrote:

> I'm observing the same behavior. Attached are a minimal tex file and
> resulting PDF. What makes this even more mysterious is that if I
> copy/paste the text in the pdf to TextEdit.app, I get Helvetica Neue
> text (shown in the screenshot below the Acrobat window). Acrobat's
> document properties say that HelveticaNeue-Light is used...
>
> On Sep 8, 2009, at 5:23 PM, James Townshend wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm a relative novice in the field.
>> Since updating to 10.6 my starting code for most documents
>> 		 %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>> 		 % !TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX-xdv2pdf
>> 		\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode,xltxtra}
>> 		\setmainfont{Helvetica Neue Light}
>> only produces text in pdf in helvetica. Switching to a serif font,
>> still produces the same result.
>> I reinstalled MacTeX2008 but the issue remains.
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>> Many thanks,
>> James Townshend
>>

> --
> Mark
>

> <helvneue.tex><helvneue.pdf><acrobatvstextedit.png>

Howdy,

The embedded font in the supplied pdf file is, indeed, Helvetica Neue
Light according to Acrobat Reader. If I use

\setmainfont{Helvetica Neue}

Adobe Reader reports that it is Helvetica Neue even though thee two
look the same in both Preview and Adobe Reader. The don't appear the
same in Font Book. Don't know where the bug is but it sounds like a
rendering problem.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)