[XeTeX] Windows XeLaTeX environment and OS/X vs. others

Karljurgen Feuerherm kfeuerherm at wlu.ca
Wed Sep 9 19:33:11 CEST 2009

Dear list,

I'm a relatively new subscriber to this list, and also am just
beginning to use XeLaTeX (a few months' experience).

This may or may not be the right list to query, if not, by all means
point me in the right direction!

1. I am currently using a Windows XP environment. I've been using
TeXMakerX to write my documents. Generally works well, a bit of a
problem with cursor placement at times, and not too good when I used RTL
text (Hebrew in my case). TeXnicCenter is out, it seems, can't deal with
Unicode (ideally I need to access Plane 1 as well as BMP). Can anyone
suggest additional alternatives I should consider?

2. Between this and other things I wish to pursue (yacc, compilers,
etc.) seems like I should consider getting a hold of a Unix environment.
Can someone tell me to what extent OS/X is Unix--dialect thereof, clone,
will work or won't work like? Down the road I can either replace this
laptop with a Mac and/or I can set up a Linux box perhaps.... (I'm
finding resources for Windows in all cases pretty hard to come by...)

Much appreciated,

Karljürgen G. Feuerherm, PhD
Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
75 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
Tel. (519) 884-1970 x3193
Fax (519) 883-0991 (ATTN Arch. & Classics)