[XeTeX] Conjunct consonants in devanagari

Ravi Parimi rparimi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 21:36:57 CEST 2009

> On 6 Sep 2009, at 03:40, Ravi Parimi wrote:
>
>> Does anyone on this list have experience with typing conjunct
>> consonants in devanagari on Mac OSX 10.5.6? I'm trying to print half ङ
>> and ग such that the ग merges with the ङ and appears below it but I can
>> only come up with  गङ्गा.
>
> This is not a question of typing; in either case, the character sequence is
> the same: NGA HALANT GA.

Thanks Jon. I am using the Devanagari MT font in my .tex document and
using the Devanagari QWERTY keyboard to input characters into the tex
file. So I wanted to know if I could input the conjunct consonant
before xelatex processed the .tex file?

> I guess you're using the Devanagari MT font that is included with OS X? In
> that case, try:
>
>  \setmainfont[RawFeature={Conjuncts=Additional Conjuncts}]{Devanagari MT}
>
> for xelatex, or (for plain xetex):
>
>  \font\mydevfont="Devanagari MT:Conjuncts=Additional Conjuncts" at 12pt
>  \x ङ्ग
>
> ...etc.

I'm now able to print the conjunct consonant as desired with the following:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[RawFeature={Conjuncts=Additional Conjuncts}]{Devanagari MT}

\begin{document}
गङ्गा
 \end{document}

Thanks very much :)