[XeTeX] Strange problem with 0.996 and 0.9995 xetex and File Names.

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 4 23:48:15 CEST 2009

On 4 Sep 2009, at 16:01, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Someone on the TeXShop Forum came up with a rather strange problem
> using either xetex 0.996 (or 0.9995 in the TL-2009 pretest)
> involving file names with spaces in them. Using a file with name
> `Summary II.tex' the following error was generated
>
> ! I can't find file `"Summary II.texSELFAUTOPARENT"'.
> <*> "Summary II.tex"SELFAUTOPARENT
>
> on his system, with a similar error (SELFAUTOPARENT is expanded) on
> my system. Using `Summary 2.tex' or removing the space,
> `SummaryII.tex', works fine while `Summary 22.tex' fails.

At first glance, this looks more like a texmf.cnf issue of some kind.
It's hard to imagine there's been such a glaring problem in the xetex
binary ever since 0.996 (that's TL'07, isn't it?), and no previous
report of it.

Does the behavior differ between 10.5 and 10.6, running the same
installation on either one?