[XeTeX] Running xelatex on the examples in XeTeX_doc.zip

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 1 23:39:28 CEST 2009

Hello Ravi

> Yes, that helps a lot. I'm wasn't sure if I should be using xelatex or
> xetex to process the .tex files under Samples/ (extracted from
> XeTeX_doc.zip). Can I assume the xetex command to be equivalent to the
> latex command, and xelatex equivalent to pdflatex? The difference I'm
> seeing here is that the format/syntax of files fed to these commands
> is different, whereas this isn't true while dealing with latex.

No:         xetex = tex  [that is:  plain TeX]
               xelatex = latex

The different is that the Xe....  programs handle Unicode-compliant fonts,
Open Type formats, bidirectionality, etc.  But certainly if you have
\begin...   and \end.... at either end of the files, and things like
\documentclass, these are (Xe)LaTeX files and will only process with
XeLaTeX, not XeTeX.  But if you are trying to process samples that invoke
fonts which are not on your system, then the attempt will fail.  However, as
had been indicated, you can certainly change the fonts in the sample
documents and substitute fonts that you definitely have on your system:  the
processing should then work, though you will obviously not get the same
visual results as you see in the sample PDFs that are included in your
installation.

Both XeLaTeX and XeTeX produce PDF files directly, normally with no
intermediate file generated that the user needs to bother with:  so you
don't get a .dvi file but go straight to PDF.  (That is not exactly true but
it'll do for now!)

John