[XeTeX] Running xelatex on the examples in XeTeX_doc.zip

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Tue Sep 1 22:42:57 CEST 2009

Ken Brown wrote:

> I think what Peter Dyballa was trying to say is that you should be
> running xetex, not xelatex.

No --- the files found in: ==>>
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/generic/velthuis

are named "xetex-examples.tex" and "xetex-misspaal.tex", but they are
xelatex documents: each source begins with:

> % Requires font Gargi_1.7 which is often installed in Linux
> % see http://salrc.uchicago.edu/resources/fonts/available/hindi/
> % for Hindi, Marathi and Nepali fonts
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{ifxetex}
> \RequireXeTeX
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=velthuis]{Gargi_1.7}

<etc.>

and

> % Requires font Nakula by John Smith,
> % see http://bombay.indology.info/software/fonts/devanagari/index.html
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{ifxetex}
> \RequireXeTeX
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \newcommand\dn{\catcode`\~=12
>            \fontspec[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=velthuis-sanskrit]{Nakula}}

I think that the command \documentclass requires XeLaTeX and won't work
on plain XeTeX.

Each requires special fonts, too, and I think that's the principal
difficulty for Ravi.

If not ... just say so!

HTH.

--