[XeTeX] Error while compiling Book file

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Oct 27 22:18:10 CET 2009

Am 27.10.2009 um 17:31 schrieb Alan Jones:

> kpathsea: Running mktextfm tib
> mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
> nonstopmode; input tib
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

A 7- or 8-bit encoded TeX font that is named in real life Times-Bold
is used in your document and you might not have provided a MAP file
entry for it. Therefore it is assumed that it's not PostScript but
bitmapped and so METAFONT is invoked to create the bitmpas of the
glyphs from MF files.

> input tib' failed to make tib.tfm.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> ! Font \toctitlefont=tib at 15.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
> or installed
>  font not found.
> l.286   \font\toctitlefont=\timesbold at 15pt
>                                               % title of Table of
> Contents
> ?

Of course there are no MF files for Times-Bold and so creating the
necessary TFM and PK files fails.

The real cause is that this STY file from last millennium is not
prepared to use fontspec in case XeTeX is used to convert the TeX
file to PDF. You can load ifxetex into a patched version of kbk and/
or kbkps files and then correct the contents like this at the top:

	\ifxetex
	  \immediate\write16{==We're here with XeTeX==}
	  \usepackage{fontspec}
	  \usepackage{xltxtra,xunicode}
	  \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
	\else
	   \immediate\write16{==Old pdfTeX or such==}
	\fi

and later, when fonts are declared with something like:

	\ifxetex
	  \newfontface\xtoctitlefont{Times Bold}
	  \DeclareRobustCommand{\toctitlefont}[1]{{\fontsize{15}{15}
\xtoctitlefont #1}}
	\else
	  \font\toctitlefont=\timesbold at 15pt
	\fi

Untested.

What is the reason you think that you need XeTeX for your book?

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what
you're talking about.
				– John von Neumann