[XeTeX] Tabular spanning columns

Axel Kielhorn a.kielhorn at web.de
Mon Oct 26 18:45:50 CET 2009

Am 26.10.2009 um 18:09 schrieb Karljurgen Feuerherm:

> Hi
>
> I'm typesetting the Code of Hammurapi for my class. It features very
> long columns which should be formatted in newspaper style (get to
> bottom of page, start at top of next column; repeat on subsequent
> pages as necessary).
>
> Evidently tabular won't wrap across columns, and I'd prefer for
> obvious reasons not to have to insert manual breaks.
>
> What's my best/simplest bet for doing this? Current code below (the
> cuneiform won't show up of course unless you have an appropriate
> font). Sample of what it looks like attached (assuming attachments
> get through...)
>
> (Side-bonus: if the empty first box--above "26" and to the left of
> "§1" could not have borders, and likewise below, that would be nice
> too.)
>
> Thanks!

Do you really need the borders?
If you want to get rid of the top left border use
\cline{2} instead of the first \hline
and
\multicolumn{1}{c|}{}
instead of the \mbox{}

(Not tested, I'm lacking the wood to build a scaffolding for your
snipped.)

You could use a list environment like itemize to brake the table into
paragraphs, reducing \itemsep for a tighter look.

\begin{itemize}
\itemsep 0pt %
\item[\begin{turn}{90}{26}\end{turn}] \LARGE{???? ?????? ??????}
\end{itemize}

I'm not sure about the environment in the optional argument, you may
need to use a \rotatebox instead. (And I'm not sure whether that will
work with xdvipdfmx.)

If you want the borders around the cuneiform, you can put them into a
\framebox[]{}

If you want to stick with tables, there is supertabular, that should
work.

Axel