[XeTeX] Double quotes in IEEE bib style

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 02:04:36 CEST 2009

I don't think the present solution is old-fashioned. The problem is that back in the days there was no symbol for 'double opening quote' on a keyboard (probably also not a standard code in ASCII or similar), so in TeX a shortcut is provided: if TeX sees two consecutive backticks, the character for 'opening double quote' is substituted from the relevant font. In XeTeX the situation is that you can actually directly input the code for 'opening double quotes' and the correct symbol from the font will be displayed.

Apparently the IEEE style internally uses the shortcut code, so you need to input the shortcut code into your source document (and obviously, xetex does not know what you mean and shows two backticks, because the shortcut is not necessary in xetex and thus by default not defined). Yes, you might redine the IEEE bst file, with the risk that the new version will not work with non-xetex sources.

I think that by using fontspec and setting xetex to be "backward compatible" with shortcut codes is not too bad. Yes, in a xetex source document you really don't need to use the shortcut codes. But on the other hand, on a keyboard not all possible Unicode characters are available. On an English keyboard, there is no sign for a German Umlaut, but I sometimes still need it to input names of authors etc. In that case, the old-fashioned shortcut code \" is very practical, even in xetex.

Cheers,
Wilfred