[XeTeX] babel or polyglossia?

Benjamin Koppe Benjamin.Koppe at gmx.de
Tue Oct 20 13:27:22 CEST 2009

> There is no urgend need to drop babel if you are using only german.
> (Things are different if you are using languages with other
> scripts).

I write ancient Hebrew and Greek as well, but not larger texts, but
rather single words or sentences. And yes, it is getting clearer and
clearer to me that dropping babel would be wrong at the moment.
Especially since I found out biblatex is depending on it (though I
think there was some word that polyglossia can pretend to be babel).

 >Am I right that you are on a Mac? Then why not input the quotation
marks directly -- it's simply Option+^ and Option+2 (or alt+^ resp.
 >alt+2, if you prefer) to input „ and “, and Shift-Option-q and
Option-q for » and «.

Thank you for the hint. Didn't know that. But actually I do not always
work on a Mac... but as all works fine with babel and as there seems
to be no real reason why to switch, I stick with it for the moment, I
guess...

De Benny