[XeTeX] Triangles

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:24:49 CEST 2009

Hi Barbara,

Thanks (again) for the quick reply!

By the way, I'm planning on attending (finally) the TUG conference in
San Francisco; I look forward to meeting you and showing you the
results of all my pestering/questioning. And perhaps discussing the
future of all this stuff.

Is anyone else on this list planning on going?

On 20/10/2009, at 12:38 AM, Barbara Beeton wrote:

> this is essentially a tex question.
> here are the definitions of \triangle
> and \bigtriangleup from plain.tex :
>
>  \mathchardef\triangle="0234
>  \mathchardef\bigtriangleup="2234
>
> they are the same glyph, differing only
> in the class; \triangle is "ord", while
> \bigtriangleup is a binary operator.

Every time I think I've done my research, you prove me wrong.
I was looking in unicode when I should have been looking in TeX.
Sorry, I should have caught this one myself.

> i chose the name \bigtriangleup rather
> then \triangle for the stix collection
> since it is a pair with \bigtriangledown.

Since they're the same glyph in TeX, it's clear that, since a given
character can have only a single mathcode, \triangle should be defined
as \mathord{\bigtriangleup}.

Off to bed now.

-- Will