[XeTeX] Accessing individual Unicode characters

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Sat Oct 17 17:07:53 CEST 2009

Simon Spiegel wrote:
> I have the following question: Adobe's Garamond Premier Pro has many
> special characters (not only ligatures, but also symbols and stuff) in
> the Private Use Area. Since I know the exact Unicode number, is it
> possible to access those directly with Xe(La)TeX.
Just put them straight in your document? For high/hard unicode
characters I use BabelMap, which will let you pick characters from the
unicode 5.1 space, which you can then copy/paste straight into your
document. XeTeX works with utf8 documents anyway, so unless your editor
somehow refuses to let you use them (get a better editor =D), there's
nothing stopping you just using any character in unicode directly
(except for the high/low surrogates of course, but then those are
illegal on their own in anyway).

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com