[XeTeX] Custom kerning

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Sun Oct 11 06:59:21 CEST 2009

On 09-10-09 21:20, Peter Baker wrote:
> Thanks to Florian and John for planting a good idea. I am in the process
> of adding upright parens, brackets and braces to the italic versions of
> Junicode. These shapes will be selectable with ss16, and kerning (the
> whole point of the exercise, and the biggest job) will be correct. I'll
> mention it here when it's ready.

Peter,

I have proposed the following OpenType Layout feature to be added into
the OpenType specification. Of course, if it's accepted, it will take
quite a few years until it's actually implemented in any major
applications, if at all. Nonetheless, I'll let you know once (and if) it
gets accepted.

Best,
Adam

==

Tag: 'uprf'

Friendly name: Upright Forms

Registered by: Adam Twardoch

Function: Some italic fonts (such as ShinnType's Scotch Modern Italic or
Peter Baker's Junicode Italic) will have both italic and upright forms
of some characters in a single font: typically parentheses, other
punctuation characters as well as other symbols such as mathematical
characters or the © sign. This feature replaces the italic glyphs with
the corresponding upright glyphs.

Example: The user would apply this feature to replace <i>)</i> with ).
In some typesetting practice, when an italic phrase is enclosed in
parentheses within text set in Roman type, the parentheses should remain
upright rather than italic. When the user sets the parentheses using the
Roman font, spacing problems may occur in pairs such as the italic "f"
followed by the Roman ")". By including the upright alternate glyphs for
parentheses in the italic font, the type designer can control the
spacing and kerning behavior in such pairs.

Recommended implementation: The uprf table maps the italic forms in a
font to the corresponding upright forms (GSUB lookup type 1).

Application interface: For GIDs found in the uprf coverage table, the
application passes the GIDs to the table and gets back one new GID for each.

UI suggestion: This feature should be off by default. Note that not all
italic fonts have italic style-linking in the family, so this feature
should be accessible for any font that includes it.

Script/language sensitivity: Applies mostly to alphabets that have
distinct upright and italic styles such as Latin, Cyrillic or Greek;
note that many non-Latin fonts contain Latin as well.

Feature interaction: This feature is mutually exclusive with 'ital',
which should be turned off when it's applied. It may be used in
combination with other substitution (GSUB) features, whose results it
may override.

== Revise feature description 'ital' ==

In the feature description for 'ital', in the "Feature interaction"
section, add as a first sentence:

"This feature is mutually exclusive with 'uprf', which should be turned
off when it's applied."

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

Reporter: "So what will your trip to Ireland look like?"
Lech Wałęsa: "I get into a car, then onto a plane, and then the other
way around."