[XeTeX] Devanagari Ligature Problem Resolved --- Now Hyphenation

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Wed Oct 7 09:53:37 CEST 2009

Hello.

Le 6 oct. 09 à 13:13, Neal Delmonico a écrit :

> Greetings,
>
> Thanks for the help.  I think this will work for me once I discover
> a good way of inputing text.  I am currently playing with the
> Inscript keyboard for Indic Languages.  The arrangement is so far a
> mystery to me. but I guess as I get used it, it will become easier.
> I doubt, though, that I will ever have the facility with that that I
> currently do with the Velthuis scheme.  Anyway, it is definitely
> workable.  Maybe someday when I have some extra time I will try to
> create a velthuis-bengali.tec or my own custom keyboard to input
> both Sanskrit and Bengali.

I think Inscript is handy for Indian users, who have a quite different
physical keyboard. Maybe you can find something convenient here (I
couldn't try myself):

http://www.bhashaindia.com/Downloadsv2/ListCategories.aspx

There's also this tool to create your own keyboard layout:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/goglobal/bb964665(en-us).aspx

but I don't know how easy (or difficult) to use it can be.

> I had trouble installing Code2000 and had to give up on it for now.
> There was some sort of error while unpacking it.  Fortunately, I
> found another font that looks like it will work as well called
> FreeSerif.  It apparently has a script for Bengali like Code2000
> does.  I have not tried it yet, but the error message no longer
> appears when I run xelatex.

Maybe the file was corrupted during download.

> One small matter, if you don't mind.  Is there anyway to set the
> larger baseline so that it only occurs in the Sanskrit and Bengali
> sections?  It definitely improves the appearance of those portions
> of the text while making the English passages look odd.

You could use the package "setspace". Instead of, say:

\newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit} #1\end{sanskrit}}}
\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.2} % delete this because it affects
the whole document

you would have:

\usepackage{setspace}
\newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit}\begin{onehalfspace}
#1\end{onehalfspace}\end{sanskrit}}}

or:

\newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit}\begin{onehalfspace}\large
#1\end{onehalfspace}\end{sanskrit}}}

if you want larger characters.

Regards,

Yves