[XeTeX] fontmap warnings (on TexLive 2009)

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 04:29:47 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 12:43:27AM +0800, Steven Woody wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 06.10.2009 um 10:26 schrieb Steven Woody:
>>
>>> My result:
>>>
>>> $ grep labm3583 $(kpsewhich pdftex.map)
>>> labm3583 SFBM3583 "T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc
>>> <sfbm3583.pft frummt <frummt.pfb
>>> labm3583 SFBM3583 "T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc
>>> <sfbm3583.pfb
>>>
>>> And, I think I don't get it. Why my result is differ with yours?
>>

>> Some failure happened some time when the MAP files were created from their
>> fragments. The labm3583 font entry comes from the cm-super-t2a.map MAP file
>> fragment, possibly in the
>> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/cm-super directory. The
>> frummt font entry is from the allrunes.map MAP file fragment, possibly in
>> the /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/allrunes directory.
>>
>> The cure is quite simple: renew the MAP files! This can take many minutes
>> and during this time you should not run TeX (and no-one else on this
>> computer!), so you best should leave for lunch. The command is:
>>
>>        sudo -H updmap-sys --disable allrunes.map && sudo -H updmap-sys
>> --enable MixedMap=allrunes.map
>>
>> The sudo command on your PC may take other parameters, it might be that it
>> does not work and you'll have to use su.
>>
>> The first 'disable' command will already rebuild the defective MAP files. If
>> you can live without the mappings for rune fonts, the second command can be
>> left out. You can also disable any other MAP file fragment. 'updmap
>> --listmaps' will show all MAP file fragments known to updmap/updmap-sys.
>>
>> We don't know yet what the output of 'kpsewhich pdftex.map' is. If it's a
>> pathname like
>> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map then
>> the command line given above is correct. If it contains something like
>> /home/<your login id>/.texlive2008/..., then you are using a set of private
>> MAP files. Their cure is:
>>
>>        updmap --disable allrunes.map && updmap --enable
>> MixedMap=allrunes.map
>>
>> No sudo, no su, no -sys. Again, the first command will already cure your
>> installation and you can disable (or enable) any other MAP file fragment.
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>  Pete
>>

> I just did it and the same xelatex warnings are still there :(
Ok. Let's try again :)

I think that your updmap.cfg file is broken (something might go wrong when
it was generated).

I see two different ways to resolve your problem:

1. Try to update your TL installation. For example (I expect active Internet
connection):
# tlmgr --repository http://texlive.guiling.fr update --self --all
(this will update tlmgr and all installed packages)
# tlmgr --repository http://texlive.guiling.fr install --reinstall \
 arabtex
(now you should have arabtex.map)
# tlmgr generate updmap
# updmap-sys
After that try again to generate pdf file from your source.

2. Try to fix current TL installation (you don't like to download all
updates or another good reason). First of all you should determine where
updmap.cfg file is located:
$ kpsewhich updmap.cfg
(mine is here: /usr/local/opt/texlive/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg )
Check if arabtex.map is in updmap.cfg:
$ grep arabtex.map $(kpsewhich updmap.cfg)
(mine result: MixedMap arabtex.map)
Next delete this line from updmap.cfg with your favorite editor. Or
# cd $(kpsewhich -var-val=SELFAUTOPARENT)/texmf-config/web2c
# sed -i.bak -e '/arabtex/d' updmap.cfg
And run
# updmap-sys

Note: the 2. way may lead to more errors from updmap-sys (some other map
files may miss too). I advise to use 1. way.

Note: I assume that you execute these commands in command line:
'$' means that you execute this command as usual user
'#' means that you execute this command as admin.

---
WBW, Vladimir

--
<Mercury> Someone fix it.