[XeTeX] Custom kerning

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Tue Oct 6 16:13:04 CEST 2009

A friend of mine does this by automatically running an script on his
tex-file before each xetex-run. But it would certainly be very handy,
if xetex could do this on its own!

I'd especially like to define kerns for any specific font and specific
style, and (just dreaming here) I'd love to be able to define kerning
in between different styles, like the extra kern between a regular
bracket and its italic content... afaik this is impossible with
standard kerning-tables even if I'm willing and allowed to edit the
font itself in a font-editor.

> I expect it's too late for the official 2009 TeXLive, but I thought
> I'd reiterate my request for some facility to tweak the kerning
> pairs in any given font by an external command - at font loading
> this would be something like 'kering=mykerns', analogous to
> 'mapping=tex-text',

Speaking of which... I haven't tried it yet, but wouldn't this be
something one could define in a tec file?

Best regards
Florian.

Florian Grammel

Gentofte, Denmark