[XeTeX] hyphenating words with hyphen

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 6 08:40:27 CEST 2009

Hello Vadim

In case it's relevant, in English-language typography it is considered very
bad to hyphenate an expression which is already hyphenated.  TeX will (I
think) always prohibit this by default, and where it is absolutely
unavoidable the user needs to put an explicit hyphen \- in the file.  But
rewriting where possible to avoid the situation would be a better solution.
This is why typesetters dislike expressions such as 'the
do-it-later-if-at-all attitude to work' or 'an ethnic-community-oriented
strategy' (the second, with longer words, is more awkward than the first as
there is a greater chance that you would need to divide one of the
components).

Best

John