[XeTeX] shifting tabulars left if too big?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Oct 5 12:53:16 CEST 2009

Am Sun, 04 Oct 2009 23:25:42 -0700 schrieb Michiel Kamermans:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know how to position a tabular block on the page differently
> depending on whether its too wide to fit the page with the default
> tabular indentation in place? I have some tables that do not fit on a
> page if the indent is respected, but fit on the page fine if \noindent
> is used. This is in an automated setting, so I don't have the luxury of
> manually tweaking the TeX, the solution has to "just work" for all
> tables thrown at it...

You could add some space with minus part:

\documentclass{report}
\begin{document}

textwidth:

\noindent\rule{\textwidth}{4pt}%

parindent:

\noindent\rule{\parindent}{4pt}%

\rule{\textwidth}{4pt}

\hspace*{0pt minus \parindent}\rule{0.8\textwidth}{4pt}

\hspace*{0pt minus \parindent}\rule{\textwidth}{4pt}

\hspace*{0pt minus \parindent}\rule{1.1\textwidth}{4pt}

\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer