[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:48:37 CET 2009

On Monday 30 November 2009 00:27:20 Adam Twardoch (List) wrote:
> OpenType fonts come in two "flavors": PostScript-flavored OpenType aka
> OpenType PS aka OpenType CFF, with the file extension .otf and outlines
> stored using 3rd-order Bezier curves just like in Type 1 fonts, and
> TrueType-flavored OpenType aka OpenType TT aka OpenType TTF, typically
> with the file extension .ttf (but also can be .otf), which store
> outlines using 3nd-order B-splines and allow for more precise hinting
> (control of screen appearance).
>
> .ttc is a format introduced by Microsoft many years ago used to bundle
> several TrueType or OpenType TT fonts into one file. It has been mostly
> used for Asian fonts that share large portions of a character set.
>
> Apple had their own format of similar functionality, .dfont, but
> switched to .ttc with Mac OS X 10.6.
Indeed, Wikipedia misses that information about extension-content relation
[1]! Introduction there creates an impression, that OT is only the next
version of TT. It also says, that: "TrueType outlines use quadratic Bézier
splines." (vs cubic) and "CFF outlines use cubic Bézier splines." (just a
wording difference, right?)
I'm no expert, but in my opinion that wikipedia page needs to be rewrited and
extended.

> Zapfino exists in three major versions:
>
> 1. Five separate Zapfino fonts in Type 1 format, with the Western
> character set. Sold by Linotype.
> 2. One Zapfino .ttc/.dfont font in TrueType AAT format, with the Western
> and Central European character set and a basic set of AAT layout
> features. Bundled with Mac OS X.
> 3. One Zapfino Extra LT Pro .otf font in OpenType PS format, with
> extended Western and Central European character set and an extensive set
> of "smart" OpenType Layout features, including a very extensive
> contextua alternates feature which allows for automatic "pseudo-random"
> selection of the various alternate forms, resulting in very dynamic
> appearance of the text. Sold by Linotype. (I worked on that version of
> the font.)
>
> See the graphic:
> http://image.linotype.com/cms/zapfcont_ani1_d17825i114.gif
>
> It is a screen recording of me typing with Zapfino Extra LT Pro -- the
> dynamic switching between the various alternates actually happens on
> screen if you type in an OpenType Layout-aware application such as Adobe
> InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Apple Pages, Apple Keynote
> or Apple TextEdit (the Apple products require Mac OS X 10.5 or higher).
>
> In XeTeX, you can also get the pseudo-random alternates if you use
> Zapfino Extra LT Pro (but not the Mac OS X bundled version).
>
> Of course, the version of Zapfino bundled with Mac OS X is not "free".
> It is precisely that: bundled with the operating system. So if you buy
> Mac OS X or a new Mac computer, a small part of the money goes to
> Linotype, and through them, to Hermann Zapf, the typeface designer.
>
> Best,
> Adam
This was a really good posting, thanks! Makes me wish to update some wiki to
collect this knowledge!