[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Mon Nov 30 01:27:20 CET 2009

OpenType fonts come in two "flavors": PostScript-flavored OpenType aka
OpenType PS aka OpenType CFF, with the file extension .otf and outlines
stored using 3rd-order Bezier curves just like in Type 1 fonts, and
TrueType-flavored OpenType aka OpenType TT aka OpenType TTF, typically
with the file extension .ttf (but also can be .otf), which store
outlines using 3nd-order B-splines and allow for more precise hinting
(control of screen appearance).

.ttc is a format introduced by Microsoft many years ago used to bundle
several TrueType or OpenType TT fonts into one file. It has been mostly
used for Asian fonts that share large portions of a character set.

Apple had their own format of similar functionality, .dfont, but
switched to .ttc with Mac OS X 10.6.

Zapfino exists in three major versions:

1. Five separate Zapfino fonts in Type 1 format, with the Western
character set. Sold by Linotype.
2. One Zapfino .ttc/.dfont font in TrueType AAT format, with the Western
and Central European character set and a basic set of AAT layout
features. Bundled with Mac OS X.
3. One Zapfino Extra LT Pro .otf font in OpenType PS format, with
extended Western and Central European character set and an extensive set
of "smart" OpenType Layout features, including a very extensive
contextua alternates feature which allows for automatic "pseudo-random"
selection of the various alternate forms, resulting in very dynamic
appearance of the text. Sold by Linotype. (I worked on that version of
the font.)

See the graphic:
http://image.linotype.com/cms/zapfcont_ani1_d17825i114.gif

It is a screen recording of me typing with Zapfino Extra LT Pro -- the
dynamic switching between the various alternates actually happens on
screen if you type in an OpenType Layout-aware application such as Adobe
InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Apple Pages, Apple Keynote
or Apple TextEdit (the Apple products require Mac OS X 10.5 or higher).

In XeTeX, you can also get the pseudo-random alternates if you use
Zapfino Extra LT Pro (but not the Mac OS X bundled version).

Of course, the version of Zapfino bundled with Mac OS X is not "free".
It is precisely that: bundled with the operating system. So if you buy
Mac OS X or a new Mac computer, a small part of the money goes to
Linotype, and through them, to Hermann Zapf, the typeface designer.

Best,
Adam
--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

Reporter: "So what will your trip to Ireland look like?"
Lech Wałęsa: "I get into a car, then onto a plane, and then the other
way around."