[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sun Nov 29 21:59:50 CET 2009

> I start to envy mac users. I was reading through fontspec.pdf and here is a
> (not exhaustive) list of fonts I just don't have: Apple Chancery, Hoefler Text,
> Skia, Didot, Adobe Garamond Pro, Warnock Pro, Zapfino... So most of examples
> there just don't work on a typical Linux box. They are available on mac,
> right?

  Not all of them.  Adobe Garamond Pro and Warnock Pro are Adobe fonts (as the
name implies -- John Warnock is the Adobe founder); Didot is a Linotype font.

>        Else it would be a bit wicked to demonstrate them, while most texlive
> users just can't use them.

  You need advanced fonts to demonstrate advanced features, there's no escaping
that.  And those are costly to produce; no wonder most of them are for sale.

> Perhaps some list of free OpenType fonts which support those fancy and/or
> sophisticated features is out there? Or that kind of fonts is simply not free
> these days?

  The SIL fonts (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&cat_id=FontDownloads).
The Linux Libertine family (http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/).  All the
TeX Gyre fonts (http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/).  To name
but a few.

  By the way, since you're Latvian, I guess, the TeX Gyre team welcomes any
comment you would have on the shapes of the glyphs in their fonts.  They're
trying to cover as many languages as possible, but they need feedback :-)

	Arthur