[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Nov 29 18:39:09 CET 2009

Hi Kārlis,

I am working on a book about fonts and related issues; the introductory
chapters that explain things like OpenType and AAT are virtually
complete and I would be happy to send you a copy if you would like.  The
info you need is much more extensive than can be made in email posts.

If you look on my website, http://scholarsfonts.net, you will also find
a link to a tutorial I wrote for using XeTeX.

The only limitation is that I don't work on Linux.  However, most the
information I offer will be applicable if you are using XeTeX.  The main
issue with Linux, from what I see in the posts on this list, is getting
fonts in the right folders.  There are lots of Linux folks here who can
help once you know better what specific help you need.

> the same font (Zapfino - is that one supposed to be "for free" for mac users?
> Some people, as I found it, want 230eur for a download in net!). In those

Yes, Zapfino is included with OS X.  I had not heard of it being sold
separately; if it is, you should be buying it from the maker or a
reputable font vendor.  I suspect it's not for sale, which is why "some
people" are selling it illegally for such a high price.

Best wishes,
David