[XeTeX] polyglossia font warnings -- not sure what they mean

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Tue Nov 24 17:19:05 CET 2009

Hello Youssef,

With the preamble you posted I don't get those errors.

> I've tried to take out bidi/arabxetex and the abnt package (I'm now
> using natbib instead of abnt). The document still compiles fine,
> but... there are still endless warnings of the same kind:
> Package polyglossia Warning:  brazil at font is not defined on input
> line XX.

This occured with older versions of Polyglossia but it should not
happen with the current one (which comes with TeX Live 2009).

> and now lots of other ones too:
> ===================================
> ! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
> \par ...m \@noitemerr {\@@par }\fi \else {\@@par }
>                                                 \fi

Maybe such errors will disappear if you install the latest version of
Polyglossia (there was a little typo in gloss-french.ldf); you can
find it here:

http://github.com/fc7/polyglossia/commit/f3190c950f0b769e8e8ba077da7185c4d824c210

François issued it on Sunday so perhaps it can't be installed through
tlmgr yet. It's probably safer to replace files manually.

> l.190
>    I've deleted a group-closing symbol because it seems to be
> spurious, as in `$x}$'. But perhaps the } is legitimate and
> you forgot something else, as in `\hbox{$x}'. In such cases
> the way to recover is to insert both the forgotten and the
> deleted material, e.g., by typing `I$}'.
> ======================================
>
> Preamble is much the same as before, see below:
>
> \documentclass[12pt, oneside]{scrbook}
> \usepackage{scrpage2}
> \usepackage{xunicode,xltxtra}

A detail: you don't need to load xunicode since xltxtra loads both
fontspec and xunicode, so \usepackage{xltxtra} is enough.

> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setmainlanguage{brazil}
> \setotherlanguage[variant=american]{english}
> \setotherlanguage{french}
> \usepackage[dvipdfm, bookmarks, colorlinks]{hyperref}
> \hypersetup
> {linkcolor=blue,citecolor=blue,filecolor=black,urlcolor=blue}
> \setmainfont[Ligatures={Common, Rare},Numbers={OldStyle},Mapping=tex-
> text]{Arno Pro}
> \setsansfont[Ligatures={Common},Mapping=tex-text]{Cronos Pro}
> \usepackage{epigraph}
> \usepackage{natbib}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage{xcolor}
> \usepackage[tocgraduated]{tocstyle}
> \usetocstyle{nopagecolumn}
> \setlength{\parskip}{0pt}
> \usepackage{url}
> \usepackage{booktabs}
> \usepackage{rotating}
> \usepackage{threeparttable}
> \usepackage{subfig}
> \usepackage{cclicenses}
> \usepackage[toc,page]{appendix}
> \renewcommand{\appendixtocname}{Apêndices}
> \renewcommand{\appendixpagename}{Apêndices}
> \usepackage{setspace}
>
> \newenvironment{citacao}%
> {\singlespacing%
>  \small
>  \begin{list}{}{%
>      \setlength{\listparindent}{0cm}%
>      \setlength{\itemindent}{\listparindent}%
>      \setlength{\rightmargin}{0cm}%
>      \setlength{\leftmargin}{4cm}%
>      \setlength{\parsep}{0pt}}%
>   \item\relax}%
> {\end{list}}
>

> \begin{document}...

> Could it be the new environment for citations (citacao) or some /
> other/ incompatibility problem?

Your environment citacao seems to be alright. The attached file
compiles fine by me.

> Apparently it's not affecting the compiled document, but if it is, I
> can't tell. I'm just worried about so many warnings.

Best wishes,

Yves