[XeTeX] table indentation

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:18:43 CET 2009

On 2009-11-23 15:17:09 +1030, Mike Maxwell
<maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu> said:

> I wonder if you (or someone) would be interested in creating a package
> that would do what you have outlined in your email: create a table in
> latex, then test its size; based on the size, it would automagically
> choose whether to set the table in an ordinary floating table
> environment, turn it sideways, or run it over successive pages, using
> existing packages (supertabular,...).  I guess there would be a number
> of options, depending on whether the user considered it to be
> acceptable to reduce the space between columns, the font size, etc.

I started along those lines when you first brought up the topic, but
there are really lots of edge cases to consider.

A significant issue, in my eyes, is that all these packages take
different interfaces, and hence a "unified" interface would be
required. The problem I remember having in your case was that the
markup coming out of your DocBook translation was terribly rigid and
hard to do much with after-the-fact.

But I agree this sort of uber-tabular would be nice. Maybe one day from
me, hopefully sooner from someone else :)