[XeTeX] polyglossia v.1.1.0 -- french problem

Rembrandt Wolpert r.f.wolpert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 21:47:12 CET 2009

Following up on Apostolos comment: the package csquotes requires the option
babel in order to work correctly in
\foreignblockquote{language}[cite]{text}.

I.e., the minimal example below works giving the correct changes of
quotation-marks („ ..." and "...") *only* when csquotes is called as
\usepackage[babel]{csquotes} -- the presence of polyglossia alone does not
give the correct output.

So -- that's why one has to load babel if one wants to use csquotes
properly.

as ever,
Rembrandt

Minimal example:

\documentclass[11pt,letter]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[variant=british]{english}
\setotherlanguage[spelling=old]{german}
%\usepackage{csquotes} % THIS DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY
\usepackage[babel]{csquotes} % THIS WORKS CORRECTLY

\setmainfont{Courier}

\begin{document}

This shows blockquote at work. \foreignblockquote{german}{Dieses
Zitat ist nicht von Benjamin, sozusagen ein \enquote{gefälschter}
Benjamin.} And this is a rather \enquote{silly} English.

\end{document}

--
人有不為也而後可以有為