[XeTeX] table indentation

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Sun Nov 22 21:07:26 CET 2009

Hi Ross,
> It's not clear whether you want all the tables to be indented,  or not
> indented.
Basically, I wanted "indented by any value (allowing 0 if need be),
because it is a table indentation properly, not a paragraph
indentation", so I took Carsten's suggestion of a new environment, but
made it issue a \noindent command, followed by an
\hspace{\tabularindent} (with the tabularindent value set in the
preamble). That way it ignores paraphing indentation and just always
uses the tabular indentation value.

> Since you seem to be complaining about some non-indented ones, it
> would seem that you actually want a consistent indent. What is
> happening then is that the first paragraph in a section is normally
> not indented, whereas subsequent ones are indented. If this is
> relatively rare, why not just use \indent for those few cases? (It'll
> serve as an indicator that there really should have been some text
> there.)
The main problem with manual tweaks is that I have a tool chain that
does not allow manual tweaking of the source code prior to compilation
to PDF - the source gets built of a set of text files hosted online, and
turned into (xe)latex source via several scripts. While technically it
is possible to detect whether a section has no text in it and goes
straight to a table, that wouldn't "unlink" paragraph and tabular
indenting, it would only solve that specific instance of a problem
related to linked indentation, so the real solution had to involve
unlinking the indentation of paragraphs and the indentation of tables.
The custom environment unlinks the two nicely.

- Mike